Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Let's "open up a book!"

Years ago when I was reading aloud at our local library, I would signal the start of storytime by singing (and if any of you know my vocal stylings, you know that I use the term "singing" very loosely) a little poem that I made up to the tune of "Row, row, row your boat". It goes like this:

"Read, read, read with me;

Listen, learn and look.
You can see what fun it is
Just open up a book!"
(The optional motions are: "me" = point to yourself; "listen" = cup behind your ears; "look" = make glasses for your eyes; "you" = point to your read aloud buddy; "book" = put 2 hands together (as in prayer) and open.)

I have always used this little ditty whenever I read to a group - large or small. I sing it today to my little learners when I have a special art book or story that's specifically related to our art project for the day. It signals them to focus on this special time.

It might be fun to try it with your own reading buddies. They'll hear the melodic strains of your voice and come running - knowing what fun is in store. They may even start singing it back to you when it's time for a story...

No comments:

Followers