Monday, September 28, 2009

Thinking (about reading) out loud...

When I think about reading aloud to children, I can't help but remember the books that I read over and over and over to my children. They come floating back like a pleasant dream and I probably can remember passages from them all. Were some of them the mainstream popular books like Goodnight Moon, Mother Goose Rhymes or any and all of the Disney stories? Yes, they were. But they also included gems that we found at Goodwill book sales (The Flying Chair), or by subscribing to the free books displayed in pediatrician's offices (Al Perkins' Hand, Hand Fingers, Thumb), or finding little-known books written by popular writers like Tommie de Paola (Pancakes for Breakfast). I am sure I read that one alone hundreds of times - and it has no words!

My greatest negotiating skills came into play at bedtime - determining how many books we would read before it was time to turn out the lights. On any given night, the children would select 7 or 8, I would counter with 2 and we would end up somewhere around 3 or 4. As any parent knows, it can be hard "not" to read to an eager child who struggles with a tower of books that he or she wants you to read. My parenting guilt often overrode my desire to tuck them in, turn out the light and take some "me" time. I almost always succumbed to nestling in between two freshly scrubbed children, poised with blankies and thumbs, ready for reading. It still makes me smile to remember one of my son's first two-word sentences..."read book." And this past summer, as I helped him unpack his dozens of boxes of books in his new apartment before he had to go buy yet another bookcase, I knew that spending five more minutes, reading "just one more" book paid off like I never could have imagined!

1 comment:

Paula B. said...

Congratulations Sandy, Dana, and Leslie!
What a wonderful blog! It brings back many fond memories of reading aloud to my girls--and so many favorite stories--Good Night Moon, Strega Nona, Charlotte's Web--too many to name.
The joy of reading aloud was only surpassed by reading and sharing books together. Starting with the first Harry Potter book, published when my youngest, Karyn, was 11 and in fourth grade, we have eagerly awaited and then devoured each new edition, sometimes with two bookmarks marking our places in a shared volume. And of course, now that we've read the entire series, the thrill continues with each new movie release. My now 21-year-old daughter and I recently saw the latest installment over the summer.

The magic continues!

Good luck with your writing and book publishing. It's an exciting new adventure!

And please check out Karyn's latest adventure. She launched a blog about her current study abroad semester in Sevilla, Spain.
It's at karyngoestospain@blogspot.com

The reader has become a pretty terrific writer, if I say so myself!

Adios! Paula Bruggeman

Followers